Sunday, October 2, 2011

Night Gallery: Since Aunt Ada Came To Stay

     Well last night was the first night of "Horror Movie Month".  And while we were looking for our Supernatural dvd's I put on an episode from my Night Gallery collection.  It was an episode I had never seen before.  Night Gallery was basically a darker/funnier color version of The Twilight Zone that came on in the 70's.  I had never heard of it before around 2002 when I saw the replays on Encore Mystery channel.  I recorded so many episodes.  This was right before DVR's and Tivo's took off.  So I had to record them old school style with vhs' and VCR's.  I'd say I have seen over half of the episodes so finding a new one is a treat.

     Well this episode is about a guy who freaks out because his wife's aunt is forced to live with them because she is elderly.  There is just something about her that he doesn't like.  Well over the course of the episode he comes to believe that she is a witch who is after his wife's body.  Basically he thinks she is going to transfer her spirit into his wife's body so she can continue to live.  Well the episode was not the best but not the worst.  But it did provide the first creepy moment of "Horror Movie Month".


     In this scene Craig receives a phone call letting him know one of his colleagues who knows a little something about witchcraft has passed away mysteriously only after a few days since telling Craig what he knows about witchcraft.  While at the end of the phone call and Craig is in disbelief the door behind him slides open to reveal Aunt Ada staring down maliciously as his realization that she is to blame washes over his face.   

     This was a very subtle scene but if I were a kid it would totally creep me out and give me nightmares.  That is kind of how I judge scary movies.  Because the last movie that came out that truly creeped me out and scared me was the Ring in 2002.  I was 19 then.  And there was only one scene that scared me.  And most of that was because of a childhood experience involving someone hiding in a closet.  But it stayed with me for a few months and even creeped me out the second time I saw The Ring. 

So good start to Horror Movie Month

No comments:

Post a Comment